Calmar Public Library has six (6) computers available for public use, that are available during regular business hours, providing access to electronic resources via the Internet, as well as non-Internet use, e.g., creating Word documents, generating spreadsheets, and typing resumes, etc. Since the Internet is a global electronic network, Calmar Public Library has no control over information accessed through the Internet and cannot be held responsible for its content. The library cannot guarantee users of the Internet to be protected from offensive information and is not responsible for the availablilty of information accessed from remote network sites.
The following rules govern the use of the library computers:
- Children under the age of 16 must have parental permission to use the public access computers and must have a parental permission form signed and on file at the library
- Children under the age of 10 must have an adult over the age of 18 (parent or guardian) present with them in order to use the library’s public access computers
- There is a 30-minute time limit for the public access computers when others are waiting. When no one is waiting, additional time at the computers is extended at the discretion of library staff on duty
- If a computer results in disruption of library services or behavior becomes inappropriate for a library setting, the library reserves the right to end the computer session at any time
- Flash drives may be used to save information from select public use computers. The library is not responsible for any damage to personal flash drives when used in library computers
- Individual software may not be installed or used to alter or attach equipment to the library’s hardware or attempt to bypass security features
- Each user is responsible for complying with copyright law and adhering software agreements
- Misuse of the computer may result in suspension or loss of computer privileges
Wireless Internet service is available at Calmar Public Library inside the library during regular business hours and outside the library 24 hours a day. A password to connect to the Internet using portable devices is required and can be obtained from library staff. All rules governing computer use on the public use computers, as well as rules governing Internet access, will apply to those individuals using their own laptops or other portable devices, with the exception of the time limit for computer usage.
All public use computers are connected to a multi-function color/black & white printer, thereby enabling printing of documents, features, articles, general information, etc., to the public for a fee based upon the amount of color on the page. Printing from a portable device is not available at the library.
A full copy of the Calmar Public Library Computer Use and Internet Access Policy is available to the public and may be requested from library staff and viewed during regular business hours.