Calmar Public Library participates in the Interlibrary Loan System provided by the State of Iowa, through the State Library. The Interlibrary Loan system provides Iowans with equal access to library resources by encouraging and supporting Interlibrary loan among all types of libraries throughout the State of Iowa.
Participating libraries agree to loan their materials for use by their patrons and receive a subsidy from the State of Iowa for each item loaned to another library.
The requesting library may charge the library patron up to $2.00 per item requested to offset the cost of postage of items sent through the mail. Calmar Public Library charges $1.50 per item to the patron requesting an item through Interlibrary Loan. Items obtained through Interlibrary Loan that are delivered via the van service will not be charged to the patron requesting said item.
Calmar Public Library offers the service of photocopying and printing items on its multi-functional color copier/printer/scanner located within the library. The copier/printer is networked to all the computers within the library thereby making it available for printing materials such as documents, informational, or recreational items from the computer, from programs such as Microsoft Word documents, the Internet, or from a personal flash drive, to the printer. Photocopying is also available from one’s own personal documents, etc. The multi-functional copier/printer can also perform scanning of documents, etc. Fees for use of the machine are as follows:
- black & white photocopies — $0.10/page
- black & white prints as printed out by the computers — $0.10/page
- color prints from the printer function — price based upon the amount of color per page, most generally $0.25 – $1.00/page.
There is no limit to the number of copies or prints made from the computers; however, it is preferred that the number of copies not exceed 100 per patron. Printing of items such as wedding or party invitations which might require special attention or detail will not be permitted. Printing or photocopying for businesses is also not permitted.
The library no longer has a FAX machine and thus cannot provide this service; however, there is a FAX machine available at the office of the City Clerk of Calmar, and faxes may be sent from there free of charge.
- To use the computers/Internet, patrons must have a Calmar Public Library patron number. One-time users or visitors need not possess a library patron number on file
- Children under the age of 8 may not use the computers unless accompanied by a responsible individual over the age of 14
- There is a 30-minute time limit for the public access computers when others are waiting. When no one is waiting, additional time at the computers is extended at the discretion of library staff on duty
- If a computer results in disruption of library services or behavior becomes inappropriate for a library setting, the library reserves the right to end the computer session at any time
- A USB device, such as a flash drive may be used to save information from select public use computers. The library is not responsible for any damage to personal flash drives when used in library computers
- Individual software may not be installed or used to alter or attach equipment to the library’s hardware or attempt to bypass security features
- Each user is responsible for complying with copyright law and adhering software agreements
- Due to the potential damage to computer equipment, food and beverages will not be permitted at the public use computer stations
- Users of laptop computers or any other mobile devices must abide by these same conditions of use. Wireless Internet service is available at the library. A password is required to log in to the
- Internet and may be obtained from library staff on duty at the time
- Internet communications shall be considered private, and confidentiality will be encouraged within the limits of public environment, the technology of the equipment, and the requirements of the law
- Misuse of the computer may result in suspension or loss of computer privileges